Saturday, June 16, 2007

Toys for Acholi Tots.


Today we bought the kids in our village some toys. We baught dolls for most of the girls, and jump ropes for the girls as well. For the boys we bought some soccer balls and as we brought them into the village I felt like Santa. I have never seen kids so exited to see such small gifts. The mothers all thanked us and said this was a gift from God, which made us all feel great. Mercy (the little girl who is so afraid of us) received a doll which she tied to her back for the rest of the day. We could tell that she loved the doll so much and was so exited to have it. I bought a can of Pringles chips, which was the most expensive food item I had found at this point,
(6,500 Chillings) and I shared the can with the entire village. Who would have thought that one little can of chips could mean so much to everyone. They all crowded around to get their little stack and some of them would take the smallest bites I have ever seen to savor them as long as possible. It was amazing to watch, and this was the only point of the trip thus far that Mercy would actually look me in the eye as she held out her little hand to receive her small stack. The mothers all got the biggest stacks and I could tell they just loved every bite too. Sarah and I were given our Acholi names today as well. I was given the name "Olara", which means "He has saved". Sarah was given "Agenu Wot" which means "I trust God".

No comments: