Monday, December 31, 2007

WESTERN UNION

So....great news from Uganda Africa! The city of Gulu where we had been staying this summer, has had their first money sending and receiving establishment move in last month! Western Union. It is so primitive, that before now, there had been no way to get any funds to our friends there in the village in Gulu. They basically have no government, no working post office, and only one Internet café in the whole city that is barely functional, but now they have this Western Union office to send chillings through.

I was able to complete the first transaction successfully, and the money made it to Mary and Irene, and their families. I was amazed. I had to E mail the one person that I knew who had enough money to access the Internet at the café. A young guy named Christopher Oachan who is 22 years old. I told him that if he could manage to find Mary and Irene in their village, I would send money for them all to share. They have no addresses or street names in the city, so he had to use my very poor directions, and actually found them somehow through the maze of chickens and mud huts. He told me he located their the general area in the village of Pece and just started yelling their names until and old man pointed him to the right hut.

I was able to send a grand total of 196,995 Ugandan Chillings! It is enough to feed 3 entire families of 5 for at least 1 month! I will be sending money every month, so if any of my readers would like to contribute, it is nice to know it goes directly to the families and their needs instead of through some of the "Non Profit" organizations that take half the proceeds.

Thanks for your prayers and support!
~Jesse and Sarah Blaine

No comments: